What is Reiki?
Reiki is Japanese for ‘universal life energy’, and is also a word used to describe a system of natural healing. This tradition was founded by Mikao Usui in the early 20th century and has evolved as a result of his dedication and research. The treatment works with healing energy which is channelled to the client through the practitioner. It works both on the physical and emotional to bring about balance and a sense of peace.
What is involved in the treatment?
During treatment, the recipient remains clothed and lies on a couch or sits on a chair and relaxes. The practitioner gently places their hands in a series of non-intrusive positions on or near the body. There is no massage or manipulation. Everyone experiences Reiki differently and you may/may not feel sensations during treatment such as heat, icy cold, tingling, seeing colours or feeling a range of emotions. These sensations are perfectly normal. It is also okay not to feel any sensations, as they do not reflect the effectiveness of a treatment.
Many people report that immediately after treatment they sense a feeling of calm and deep relaxation, whereas others may feel re-energised. Again do not worry if you don’t notice any immediate change.
Some of the benefits of Reiki include:
- Creates deep relaxation and aids the body to release stress and tension.
- Supports the immune system.
- Reduces some of the side effects of drugs and helps the body to recover from drug therapy after surgery and chemotherapy.
- Assists the body in cleaning itself from toxins.
- Removes energy blockages, adjusting the energy flow of the endocrine system bringing the body into balance and harmony.
- Helps relieve pain.
- Aids better sleep.
- Reduces depression.
- Can help with acute (injuries) and chronic problems (asthma, eczema, headaches, etc.) plus aides the breaking of addictions.
- It accelerates the body’s self-healing abilities.
- Raises the vibrational frequency of the body.
- Helps spiritual growth and emotional clearing, heightening intuition.
- Stronger self-esteem and self awareness.
- Encourages communication leading to greater ease and satisfaction in relationships.
- Centres your thoughts when you are confused /focuses your mind and helps you to problem solve.
- Energizes you when you feel drained.
- Calms you when you are frightened, reducing anxiety and panic attacks.
- Helps change negative conditioning & behaviour. It can also promote the changing of any negative mental habits, turning these into more positive and productive thought patterns. Once we begin to think more positively, our lives and our health become more positive too.
- Improved digestion.
- Increases vitality and postpones the ageing process.
Reiki encourages and supports positive personal choices, such as improving diet, taking more exercise, devoting time for rest or leisure activities and may reduce the need for alcohol and tobacco, creating greater inner harmony and balance.
Regular Reiki treatments promote a calmer response to life’s challenges.